Coming Out Week: October 11-15, 2021
Wayne State University Coming Out Week is a week filled with events and programming to show support and showcase the WSU LGBTQ+ student and employee populations. These programs are not only educational, but also a space to connect and network with queer and ally individuals across the campus community.
These events are planned by various student organizations, the Office of Multicultural Student Engagement (OMSE), the Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies (GSW) program, the Dean of Students Office (DOSO), the Queer Faculty and Staff Organization (QWSU), and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI).
Monday, Oct. 11
- 1 to 3 p.m.: W'Sup HIV Testing (Student Center Building, Room 279)
- 1 p.m.: GSW hosts Pronoun event and GSW Pin Making Extravaganza! (GSW Office: 5057 Woodward, 9204)
- 6 p.m.: Stand with Trans Event: Tell your Coming Out Story for National Coming Out Day: A Panel Discussion (virtual)
Tuesday, Oct. 12
- 11 a.m.: OMSE and GSW host Academic Student Panel (virtual)
- 7 p.m.: Queer Professional Organization (QPO) hosts documentary showing of Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen (virtual)
Wednesday, Oct. 13
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Queer Med Coming Out table in the Student Center where we will pass out free coming out and LGBTQ+ resources!
- 11:30 a.m.: OMSE and GSW host Student Org Summit (virtual)
- 3 to 4:30 p.m.: Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) hosts "Supporting LGBTQ+ Students in the Classroom: A Dialogue between Students and Faculty" (virtual)
- 4 to 5 p.m.: JIGSAW (Joining Intersectionality, Gender, and Sexuality at Wayne) General Meeting (Student Center, room 358)
- 5 p.m.: GSW Learning Community hosts Open Mic (Student Center, Hilberry D)
Thursday, Oct. 14
- 3 p.m.: Graduate Queer Alliance (GQa) hosts Queer-led Short Films in the Planetarium
- 4 to 6 p.m.: QWSU (Queer Faculty/Staff Organization of Wayne State) Reception, Shield's Pizza (employees only)
- 8 p.m.: SPARK, Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Celebration (virtual)
Friday, Oct. 15
- 6 p.m: Queer Professional Organization (QPO) speaker: President LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce (Student Center, Room 384)
- Coming Out Boxes will be in the Student Center, Purdy-Kresge Library, and the UGL
Coming out isn't always easy or straightforward. So coming out boxes will be placed around campus to allow students to anonymously place a note inside with their coming out experiences, words of encouragement, and/or support. But your "coming out" story could also be about mental health, family dynamics, crushes, wishes, fears, aspirations…Notes will be displayed the following week in a show of collective support and community.
Wednesday, Oct. 20
- 12 p.m.: Dr. Thomas Klein Gender and Sexuality Speaker: Angela Chen, "Asexuality Possibilities"
If you are interested in a free rainbow mask (while supplies last) or purchasing a WSU Pride shirt, please contact Brandon Shamoun, Dean of Students Office.
Please RSVP to these events using the Get Involved platform where information will be regularly updated. If you have any questions please reach out to Kristin Johnston, email@example.com, or Dr. Michael Schmidt, firstname.lastname@example.org.